Saturday, November 29, 2008

Why Loeb and Sarrazin swap cars for a day


World rally champion Sebastien Loeb and former Le Mans Series champion Stephane Sarrazin swapped cars in France yesterday with Loeb taking the wheel of a Peugeot 908 HDi at Paul Ricard and Sarrazin sampling a Citroen C4 WRC on a nearby gravel stage.

Loeb, who contested the 2005 and 2006 Le Mans 24 Hours in an LMP1 Pescarolo, drove five laps of the circuit in a specially-converted two-seater 908, before taking 15 laps on his own - lapping just over a second off a time set by Sarrazin.

"It was great fun and I'm delighted that Stephane and I were given this opportunity to test our respective cars," said Loeb. "What is always impressive about sports prototypes and single-seaters is their speed and the amount of downforce they generate, but I have to say that I was struck by the amount of torque delivered by the Peugeot's diesel engine.

"I was a little surprised by the restricted visibility you get from the closed cockpit, but I soon felt confident enough to start pushing a little harder and I savoured every minute of the experience. The time passed so quickly and I didn't want to give the car back afterwards."

Then Sarrazin, who competed in the WRC for Subaru in 2005 and 2006, was given a passenger ride around the 3km stage in Domaine de Riboux by Loeb before taking over behind the wheel for 12 runs through the course - setting similar times to Loeb.

"It's been a tremendous thrill to drive the C4 today," said Sarrazin. "Maybe we could swap places for an event? Sebastien could take my place on an endurance race and I could drive his car on a rally!

"Compared with the rally cars I have driven in the past, I was impressed by its overall balance and more especially by how easy it was to set up into the corners.

"It really is a very efficient machine, and very predictable - you immediately feel confident enough to start pushing hard. It was great and I would love to have carried on a little longer."

Both Loeb and Sarrazin will contest the final round of the French Rally Championship - Rallye du Var - this weekend. Loeb will be co-driven by his wife in a Citroen C2 Super 1600, while Sarrazin will be joined by Jacques-Julien Renucci in a Peugeot 207 RC Rallye.

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template